Let’s start off our journey with an alarming statistic.
In the USA, a home burglary happens once every 15 seconds. That’s more than 4,500 break-ins in a single day. Hence, if you don’t want to be part of these families, you should make investment in a well-designed home security system.
But, how do you find the components that are suitable for your purpose?
That’s precisely what we’ll be discussing through this article. Aside from the names, we will also talk about the components you should look for while buying home security systems.
So, without making any further ado, let’s learn more in this context.
What Should You Consider While Choosing The Best Home Security System?
Like anything else, you need to make some careful considerations if you want to buy the best home security system. The following are a few of them –
DIY Or Professional Installation
In terms of safety and efficiency, professional installation should be the best option for you. As the procedure is performed by experts, they find the best locations in your house to maximize protection. Besides, there’s no need to worry about improper installation too.
If you are a tech-savvy individual, you can definitely work on the installation procedure. However, if you make even a single mistake, the overall efficiency of the infrastructure will reduce to a massive extent.
You will have to consider several categories when it comes to the overall expense of home security systems –
- Installation cost,
- Equipment expense, and
- Activation fees.
Aside from this, if you are opting for reliable security companies, your overall expense may increase even more. For example, if you buy the Plano home security systems by Smith Thompson, you may have to pay subscription fees for monitoring.
So, before you choose any security package or the type of home security system, make sure to create a budget plan first.
Integration With Smart Home
You can integrate specific systems or products with third-party devices like Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. While these modules are a little pricier, their overall convenience level would be much higher than the less-sophisticated components. So, if you have an adequate budget, we’ll ask you to opt for these products.
If you have chosen professional monitoring, you’ll need to select a specific connection center to stay connected with your team. There are three different alternatives to choose from –
- “Landline” will use the landline connection of the user to notify the monitoring team about alerts. It is, in essence, pretty inexpensive. However, people can tamper with it quite easily by cutting the line.
- “Cellular” usually operates through an in-built chip that sends alerts by using the same connection as your mobile phone. It’s a lot more expensive than the previous option. Nonetheless, no one can tamper with it.
- If you have high-speed internet, “Broadband” will be an ideal option for you. But, your connection will go out during the power cuts. Hence, you’ll need to get a backup battery if you want to keep everything functional all the time.
Size of Your House
Yes, that’s right. The size of your home will matter while buying home security systems, as it’ll determine the number of products you’ll require.
If you are living in a condo or a small apartment, buying a small system will suffice for you. Nonetheless, the larger houses will require a system that can hold a lot of data at once. Besides, you will also need multiple alarms and sensors for your purpose.
Availability Of Technical Support
Troubleshooting or operating a wireless home security system does require a decent amount of technical support. Therefore, while buying something as such, you should always check if the product manufacturer offers any technical support or not. Moreover, we’d also ask you to keep an eye on the amount they’ll charge for the service.
Wired Or Wireless
There are two types of home security systems available in the market – wired and wireless. Each of these options has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
For example, the wireless models are the least-expensive option amongst these two. However, they are more susceptible to external damage. Besides, they might look a little messy if you are not good at wire organization.
Conversely, the risk of damage will be much lesser than usual when it comes to the wired models. Besides, there’s no need to worry about wire management with them. Nonetheless, they are a little more expensive in terms of price.
Essential Components To Look For In A Home Security System
A home security system generally comes with various modules and components. But, which are the must-have ones amongst them? Let’s find out.
- Alarm Systems: An excellent alarm system will draw others’ attention when someone breaks into your house. You can also modify their settings to prompt them to activate at certain times of the day or whenever you go out.
- Motion Sensors: Motion sensors can detect movements inside of your rooms. Therefore, if an unwanted person enters your house or room, they will notify you about it instantly.
- Security Cameras: Security cameras, in essence, are your primary source of visibility. They can help you check whatever’s happening outside and inside of your residence. Some of the models also feature an alarm system for more convenience.
- Glass-Break Sensors: As the name implies, the glass-break sensors work pretty effectively during break-ins. They can help you know when someone’s breaking your window and send a notification to the monitoring team as well.
- Video Doorbells: Video doorbells generally click an image or capture videos of whoever is tapping on it. It is pretty effective in terms of security and can help you avoid direct burglaries efficiently.
There are definitely a lot of things to consider while selecting a security system for your house.
Which type of hardware will be suitable for your purpose?
Do you need any assistance regarding monitoring your home?
Should you go for wired models or wireless ones?
How much do you want to spend?
These are some of the questions that you need to answer before buying a home security system.
Hopefully, we could help you out in this regard through this article. Nonetheless, if you still have some queries regarding something, make sure to ask us in the comment section.