The first and foremost step to keep your home secure is to get a perfect and unflawed home security system that is durable and long-lasting. And after that, it is equally necessary to teach the kids about the security of your home. It is the responsibility of the parents to ensure that kids know to respond in case of any emergency.
Here are some practical tips that every kid should know about home security.
1. Lock The Doors And Windows Properly
It is one of the fundamental practices. Still, many people forget sometimes to properly lock all the doors that results in thefts and burglaries. Opened windows and doors for a long time make the house vulnerable to any robbery. So it is essential to teach the kids to check that every door and window is properly locked. Even if they are leaving in a hurry, they should know to close the windows and doors. Another way is to connect the security system to the cell phones to get the alert when the door or window is opened when you are not at home.
If the kids are old enough and have a smartphone, you can install the home security app. It will help to remind your kids to lock the doors. It is beneficial to let them know the damages and dangers of keeping the home unlocked.
2. Secure The Private Information Regarding Valuables In Home
It is important to let children know what they should not share with people outside the family. Teach them not to share the address of home on social media. Another standard practice is that only adults or parents answer the door whenever it is knocked.
3. Use A Kid-Friendly Home Security System
Use the kid-friendly home security system that is easy to understand for your kid. And also, teach them how to use it properly. They should know how to use the home alarm system in any emergency. Make sure that they are familiar with the alarm sounds, and they should know how to maneuver through in case of any mishap.
When installing a new home security system, learn as much as you can regarding the functions and properties of the system. Then include your children about the features and working of the system. Make it a routine to check the doors and windows whenever you enter the house, go to bed, or leave the house. Teach the children how to control the panel of the security system and how the alarm works.
Another tip is to make them learn to call 9-1-1 in case of any emergency. Let the kids perform the tasks regarding home security on their own. It will give them confidence in themselves, and they will learn quickly.
4. Make The Home Security Checklist
If you are leaving your children at home, ensure that they know the safety rules and the checklist to follow for the security of the home. Here are some tips to include in the security checklist.
- They should not allow any unfamiliar visitors in case of parents’ absence.
- They should remain in contact with you via phone call or text when you are out of the home.
- The grills, stove, or oven should remain off.
- In case of any mishap, teach them to learn to go to the predetermined safe place or call 9-1-1.
- Teach them to lock the doors and windows properly and operate the control panel of the digital home security system.
- Memorize the go-to contact numbers of parents and their workplace to contact in case of any emergency.
- Ensure that you exchange your contact numbers with trustworthy neighbors and let them know whenever you leave your kids alone at home.
5. Things To Consider Before Handing The House Key To Your Kids
If your kid is mature enough and you are thinking of giving the house key to him before you are heading out, there are a few points that you should consider before doing so.
- Is your child forgetful or responsible regarding his belongings?
- Are there any loyal neighbours that can help?
- Is your child mature and old enough to handle the responsibility of keeping the door key secure?
- Does your kid know how to respond in any case of emergency?
- Does your kid know how to contact you or any helpline in case of any emergency? Or if he needs any kind of help, or if he feels unsafe?
By pondering these questions, you will better know when to hand over the house keys to your kid.
6. Keep track of Your Home key
Even if you consider your child mature enough to handle the door key, you should have ways to track the door key to ensure maximum security. You can get the digital key that can be traced by the app, or you can teach the child where to keep the door key in his bag.
It is better not to hide the door key under the mat or in the flower pots outside the house. The first reason is, these places are most common to hide the key. And the second is that most burglars study the behavior patterns of the residents to note where they keep their keys and other valuables.
7. Use The Smart Technology
Technology is making life easier in many aspects. It is the best option to incorporate tech into home security. It will allow you to enter your house or lock the doors with just an application. Moreover, you will track who is coming into your house and who is exiting. You can download or install the app whenever you want.
It is the best option to choose if you have kids because it does not compromise security and gives you peace of mind whenever you are far from home.
In the crux, it is beneficial to make the children learn to respond to any emergency situations and teach them how the security system works in their home. It will give them a sense of responsibility and make them more mature.