Roofing is an important aspect of any house. It doesn’t matter what is the size of your house, the house must have solid roofing. Different materials can be used for roofing. Whether you build a new house or have an existing house, the roof you put on it will be your capital investment. People choose metals roofs because of longevity, minimal maintenance, and energy efficiency. Different metal like aluminum, tin, zinc, copper, or galvanized steel can be used in roofing. Just like any other roofing, metal roofing has its own pros and cons. Here, in this article, we are going to discuss some of them.
Pros of Metal Roofing: Metal roofs offer many benefits that include the following:
- Longevity: If the metal roofing is installed by an experienced metal roofing contractor then it will last 40-70 years. This longevity period is far more than the Asphalt roofing. If the metal is of good quality, then you have got extended time to redo your roofing.
- Durability: Different metals have different sustainability levels, but all metal roofs can sustain heavy storms, raining, snowfall, earthquakes, and summer heat and they will not crack even with 140 miles per hour wind. Some of them are impact-resistant and doesn’t require occasional maintenance. Although they don’t require maintenance, it would be good to check your roof after a heavy storm or earthquake.
- No worries for mold or Raccoons: Metal roofing is a safer bet for those who live in moisty weather because they are fungus, mold, and moss proof. Especially if you live among wooden walls, the raccoons won’t be able to come through the metal roof.
- Safe: A metal roof does not spark and ignite into flames during any fire or lightning strike.
- Environmentally friendly: Most of the metal roofs can be recycled. Although in 70-80 years, they will wear off their quality, but they still can be recycled 100 %. They are also energy efficient.
Cons of metal roofing: Despite their pros, even metal roofs have some drawbacks that include the following:
- Affordability: One of the biggest drawbacks of metal roofing is that they are two or three times more expensive than other roofing materials. It is supposed to last longer but it can only be ideal if you are always going to live in that home.
- Expansion and contraction: Metal roofing is a serious concern that is why it is important to hire a good metal roofing contractor who knows how metal roofing materials that are attached as large panels tend to expand and contract. If they don’t allow the metal to breathe, your metal roof may not live longer.
- Performance: The metal roofing installation is an important task, if your roof is poorly installed and water accumulates anywhere on the roof, it can seriously damage your whole roofing. So, hire the best metal roofing contractor even it means spending more money.
- Noisy: Metal roofs can become noisy during the heavy rain or hailstorm but this can be fixed by adding more insulation but that might require more money.