I wish I had a dollar for every time I describe something as “light and airy.” I love a light and airy space. Most people love a light and airy space. They commission designers to create light and airy out of dark and musty. A large percentage of the time, light and airy is the goal. But sometimes it’s good to embrace the dark side. Dark and moody that is. Darkness gets a bad rap; it doesn’t equal depressed, dour or down in the dumps, like you might think. These dark-walled rooms each create a unique mood — check them out and see if any of them suit you.
1. Well rested and cheerful. “The blues” gives the color blue a bad reputation. In this inviting bedroom sitting area, blue creates a wonderful environment in which to transition from sleep mode to being ready to meet the day. Conversely, it’s a great place for enjoying the last embers in the fireplace and getting sleepy with a good book at night.
Wall paint: Van Deusen Blue, Benjamin Moore
2. Businesslike. You’ll settle in like a boss when your room is ensconced in crisp navy. Dark blue represents knowledge, power and integrity, all things you’ll want to bring to your work.
Wall paint: Hale Navy, Benjamin Moore
3. Dramatic. Dark paint around the fireplace gives it a serious presence in this San Francisco living room. Now the fireplace is the main focal point and the bay window complements rather than competes. This room inspires settling in for conversation with a freshly swizzled cocktail from the well-placed bar.
Related: Browse Bar Cabinets
Wall paint: Blackberry, Benjamin Moore (discontinued; the designer, Eche Martinez, recommends Old Navy as the closest available match)
4. Dreamy. This deep bluish-green-gray hue is not only peaceful and inspiring, but it mitigates the complications of all of the angles in the room. The bedroom inspires a good night’s rest and pleasant dreams.
Wall paint: Crisp Romaine, Benjamin Moore (eggshell finish)
5. Pensive. Books, collections and even a bust of a person who was most certainly erudite inspire learning and contemplation, while a lively zebra print and range of textures prevent the room from being a snooze. Just thinking about reading in this room makes me feel smarter.
Wall and bookcase finish: custom black stain with brown tones mixed in
6. Commanding. Showstopping antique pedestal sinks stand out against this bathroom’s deep blue walls. This setup inspires a clean and close shave, impeccable makeup and confidence-building affirmations while looking in the mirror.
Wall paint: Hague Blue, Farrow & Ball
7. Cool, calm and collected. Dark walls, pleasing symmetry and soft lighting put the focus on the stunning marble fireplace surround in this living room. It looks like a wonderful place for unwinding after work and settling into life at home.
Wall paint: Black 2132-10, Benjamin Moore
8. Glamorous. This room is all about luxe, dark textures and turning down the lights for some movie viewing. All that’s missing: some Zsa Zsa Gabor–style feathered kitten-heel slippers.
Wall covering: Luxe Flannel LF961 in Navy, Innovations
By Becky Harris, Houzz