By Mitchell Parker, Houzz
Some kitchen features never go out of style. Others seem to come out of nowhere and surprise you. That’s the takeaway from this collection of the most popular kitchen photos uploaded in 2016. While classic staples like white cabinets, reclaimed wood and farmhouse style continue to dominate many kitchens, the emergence of dark-painted islands and satin brass fixtures comes as a welcoming detour. These are the photos that got the most saves to readers’ Houzz ideabooks this year. Is one of them in yours?
8. Slate gray painted alder cabinets join distressed oak cabinets, open shelves on vintage brackets, concrete brick floors and an antique mounted plate rack for a look that feels pulled together over several generations.
Sink: farmhouse sink, Rohl; floor: cement brick, Arto; cabinets: William Ohs
7. An L-shaped layout wraps around a large maple island painted gray. An extra-wide farmhouse sink sits beneath a window overlooking a backyard. Warm wood floors and nickel accents give the space a traditional feel.
Backsplash: white subway tile, 3 by 6 feet, in white gloss; island: cherry with Flint stain, Woodharbor; range hood: Monogram 48-inch stainless steel professional hood, GE; floor: tongue-in-groove oak in a stain similar to Minwax’s Jacobean
6. A wood-paneled drop ceiling gives an unexpected look to this white kitchen and complements warm white oak floors.
Island lights: Washington pendant, Hudson Valley Lighting; dining table light fixture: Tela, Eurofase
5. It’s got to be said: Everything is bigger in Texas. This spacious Dallas kitchen features 12-foot ceilings, a large island (105 by 75 inches), massive dark-stained beams and oversized counter stools. White cabinets mix with a black island, paneled refrigerator and custom range hood for contrast.
Island countertop: Calacatta Colorado marble; perimeter countertop: Cambrian black satin granite; wall paint: Gray Clouds, Sherwin-Williams; island paint: Black Licorice, Behr; ceiling paint: Swirling Water, Behr; range hood: custom, Vent-a-Hood; floors: red oak; backsplash: brick veneer, charcoal Lueders limestone, Alliance Materials; refrigerator: panel-ready Sub-Zero; stools: Ethan Allen; faucet: Etch, Moen; pendant lights: Yoke 1, available on Houzz
4. The passing of time stands out in this Toronto kitchen. A reclaimed hemlock wood island countertop and reclaimed wood floors give a sense of age, as do “leathered” granite countertops and a cultured stone backsplash. The Shaker-style cabinets are white with black metal hardware.
Wall color: Revere Pewter, cabinet and trim color: Chantilly Lace, island color: Storm Cloud Gray, all Benjamin Moore; stools: Restoration Hardware
3. A handmade pantry with two doors, drawers and baskets packs a ton of smart storage into a relatively small space: 4 feet wide, 7 feet high and 2 feet deep.
Paint color: Purbeck Stone, Farrow & Ball
2. Satin brass pulls, faucet and light fixtures pop with sophistication against dark gray custom Shaker-style cabinets and a custom marble backsplash and countertop.
Base cabinet paint: Down Pipe, Farrow & Ball; wall and upper cabinet paint: Decorator’s White, Benjamin Moore; cabinet pulls in satin brass: Lew’s Hardware; faucet: East Linear in satin brass, Newport Brass; sink: Rohl; range: BlueStar; sconces: Schoolhouse Electric; runner: vintage; floor: reclaimed heart pine
1. A vintage farmhouse look, warm American black walnut island countertop and large-format stone tiles made this English kitchen photo the most popular of 2016.
Wall cabinet color: Smoke, Zoffany; island color: Elephant Gray, Zoffany